The list ended up being much longer than we had originally realized. There are many Places that we have been to. We created some criteria for a place to be on this list.
The criteria to be on the list of Other Places is:
- Revisitablity. We want to go back. The place was so enjoyable that we wanted to go return or wished we could.
- Affordable. The place was affordable and reasonably priced – or there was a great deal somewhere.
- Value. More importantly than just being “cheap,” the value it added to our life through learning, experience, or memories was worth more than we could ever afford.
- Unique. The place was engaging in some way either by location, visually, or how we related to it.
17-Mile House Farm Park - Centennial, Colorado
- Revisitablity. The farm often has special events! It connects to Cherry Creek Trail which makes it a great stopping point along the trail.
- Affordable. Free.
- Value. The historic house, bard, silo, milk house, and windmills take you back 160-years.
- Unique. The park has picnic tables, connects to the trail, and is an important part of local history.
20-Mile House - Parker, Colorado
- Revisitablity. This is a small house with a sitting area that is a quick walk from the Main Street area. They do sometimes have tours and other events.
- Affordable. Free.
- Value. It was a quick trip in history with some imagination required.
- Unique. The Pine Grove Post Office is compared to modern day post office allows for some reflection on living in current times.
- Revisitablity. We were all talking about going back before we even made it out of the parking lot. I would have just lived there – if it was allowed.
- Affordable. We were able to get free passes through our local library program.
- Value. The time we spent there with nature flying around us was well worth it. It was a great shared experience! The staff were very knowledgeable and caring of the butterflies.
- Unique. There is a huge area with butterflies just flying around! It felt magical and was relaxing. There are also aquariums, insects, and touch tanks.
- Revisitablity. We have been to this park so many times. There are still more trails to walk on and picnics to have.
- Affordable. Colorado State Residents can get the Keep Colorado Wild Pass for $29 when they renew their car registration.
- Value. The park offers a marina, playground, bike paths, picnic tables, and a beach. There is also fishing (check permit requirements) and camping (reservation required).
- Unique. As a Colorado non-native, one of my favorite parts of this park is the beach. There are a few state parks in Colorado that have them. This is one of them!
- Revisitablity. The tiny frogs. We have seen them there once so far and would love to see them again.
- Affordable. It’s free.
- Value. The park has a trail that connects to Cherry Creek Trail which can bring you down to Parker and north to Denver. There are stops along the way like the 17 Mile House.
- Unique. The boardwalk, educational area, and large stepping stones create unique experiences within the park. In the warmer months, there are often kids playing in the stream. Please follow safety rules that are there.
Cheyenne Depot Plaza - Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Revisitablity. There are special events in the plaza. In the summer they have free concerts on Friday evenings..
- Affordable. Free.
- Value. The plaza had art (sculptures), sitting areas, and information about the history of the area.
- Unique. This was our first experience in Cheyenne. It was a great first stop to learning about Cheyenne and walking around.
City Park, Denver, Colorado
- Revisitablity. The view around the path will change throughout the seasons. We also want to try renting a paddleboat.
- Affordable. Free. Parking within the park is free too.
- Value. We saw ducks, heard kids laughing, and watched people enjoy this local treasure.
- Unique. The park is next to the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. Great day out!
Dart Wars, North Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dart Wars, South Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Revisitablity. We have been to this location once so far. We hope to visit on Homeschool Day soon!
- Affordable. There are options starting at $17/hour. Want to play more? Check out the monthly passes.
- Value. A day of seeing the kids run around happy doing the thing they love. Priceless.
- Unique. This is a great day in for the kids to do Nerf – not in the house. Cool seating area for adults and non-players.
Denver Museum of Nature & Science (DMNS), Denver, Colorado
- Revisitablity. There are new exhibits added. There are also special ticketed exhibits.
- Affordable. We usually go on a free day.
- Value. This is one of the places that we each of our own favorite section of the museum.
- Unique. It is located next to City Park, for a fun walk around the lake after the museum.
Erie Municipal Tri-County Airport - Erie, Colorado
- Revisitablity. This one almost didn’t make the list. The airport isn’t someplace you would want to or could just stop by whenever really but we went there as part of the Young Eagles Program. It would be amazing to have that experience again!
- Affordable. Free.
- Value. One of the most amazing experiences. I wasn’t even the one in the plane – yet still amazing.
- Unique. This is a small airport that there were small planes that volunteers took kids out in the planes. I learned a lot that day about planes.
Evergreen Lake - Evergreen, Colorado
- Revisitablity. There are trails that go around Evergreen Lake. Dedissee Park trails extend outward.
- Affordable. Free
- Value. The one dour drive from Denver was well worth it!. It felt like we were taken to a far off place.
- Unique. There is a nature center, picnic tables, and relaxing Dam area with sculpture, next to a small garden.
Four Mile Historic Park - Denver, Colorado
- Revisitablity. The park probably looks a little different with each season. It would be an opportunity to revisit.
- Affordable. They have free days periodically throughout the year.
- Value. The park was close to home while taking us far back into time.
- Unique. The combination of interactive exhibits, animals, and history was brought history to life. We walked right through it.
Hammond's Candies - Denver, Colorado
- Revisitablity. They said they make different candy at different times. We haven’t been back yet, but it would be interesting if they were making something else next time.
- Affordable. Free tour! Signup ahead of time.
- Value. This was a fun outing that we did the Hammond’s Tour then went to Rocky Mountain Arsenal to see Bison!
- Unique. It is a great learning experience to see how candy is made and how many people work together to make it.
Historic Downtown Durango, Colorado
- Revisitablity. We spent a few hours there. This town has amazing revisitability!
- Affordable. Our day out was walking around, looking at the train, and exploring. It was like a Choose Your Own Adventure (and cost) Day.
- Value. Durango is the furthest west we have ever been. This would be a great stop on a road trip!
- Unique. The walkability, hotels, railroad, parks, and restaurants make Durango easy to get around in – and difficult to want to leave.
History Colorado Center - Denver, Colorado
Jewell Wetlands Park - Aurora, Colorado
Morrison Nature Center - Aurora, Colorado
Red Rocks Park - Morrison
- Revisitablity. There are many trails to walk on. We didn’t explore them all yet!
- Affordable. Free!
- Value. Red Rocks is more than a concert venue. Fun, free day out for the whole family.
- Unique. The visitor center, trading post, Red Rocks Hall of Fame, Colorado Music Hall of Fame, and recreation all in one place.
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge - Commerce City
- Revisitablity. Yes, that picture was taken there! Revisit? Absolutely. How cool is it to see Bison near Denver!
- Affordable. Free.
- Value. The drive through the refuge allows you to see a great area of the park and wildlife easily. It feels like a local safari.
- Unique. There are many trails to explore. The 20 miles of hiking trails, free nature programs and a visitors center.
Vallecito Lake - Bayfield, Colorado
Wings Over The Rockies - Air & Space Museum - Denver, Colorado
- Revisitablity. The museum featured many different types of planes. We spent most of our time on the tour that day. We would like participate in the special event days.
- Affordable. We were able to visit on a free day. The experience would have been well worth the price of admission if we had to pay that day.
- Value. The tour that day was very impactful. We learned so much about the history of planes and the people.
- Unique. The museum is great for all ages. The guided tour is an additional fee but we would highly recommend it!
Wyoming State Museum - Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Revisitablity. This was a stop on our trip that we had not planned. As residents of Colorado, we learned so much about Wyoming. I feel like we only learned a fraction of what was in the museum..
- Affordable. The museum is free!
- Value. The museum had a range of exhibits about Wyoming.
- Unique. We learned that Wyoming was the home to America’s first National Park, National Forest and National Monument. Get inspiration for your next trip!
This list is not in any particular order and is not longer numbered correctly. We are working on it.
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver – Denver, Colorado
Confluence Park – Denver, Colorado
Molly Brown House – Denver, Colorado.
Colorado Freedom Memorial – Aurora, Colorado
Plains Conservation Center – Aurora, Colorado
Denver Aquarium – Denver, Colorado
Cheyenne Depot Museum, Cheyenne, Wyoming
Westerly Creek Park, Denver, Colorado
Southlands, Aurora, Colorado
Macky Auditorium Concert Hall, Boulder, Colorado
Parker Farmers Market, Parker, Colorado
Marjorie Park, Greenwood Village, Colorado
Wings Over the Rockies, Denver, Colorado
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Cherokee Ranch & Castle, Sedalia, Colorado
Blanca Vista Park, Alamosa, Colorado
O’Brien Park, Parker, Colorado
Bellewood Park, Aurora, Colorado
Denver Zoo, Denver, Colorado
Downtown Aquarium, Denver, Colorado
18. Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater
19. Sky Zone, Parker, Colorado
20. Utah Park, Aurora, Colorado
21. Boondocks Food & Fun, Parker, Colorado
22. Railbender Skate & Tennis Parker, Parker, Colorado
23. Riva Ridge Park, Parker, Colorado
23. The PACE Center, Parker, Colorado
Cherry Creek Trail
25. Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins, Colorado
26. Elitch Gardens, Denver, Colorado
27. O’Brien Pool, Parker, Colorado
28. Red-Tailed Hawk Park, Aurora, Colorado
31. DeLaney Community Farm, Aurora, Colorado
37. Quincy Reservoir, Aurora, Colorado
38. Denver Art Museum, Denver, Colorado
39. Hudson Gardens, Littleton, Colorado
40. Union Station, Denver, Colorado
41. Littleton Museum, Littleton, Colorado
43. Hard Rock Cafe – Denver, Colorado